Crumbs From the Corner: Adventures in Woolgathering

Friday, December 19, 2008

Mater



"The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love.”
Hubert H. Humphrey

Illness ought to be seen as a warning rather than a grim finality; as a comma rather than a punctuative full stop.
Last week I sat with my mother in a colourless room and heard, as if from an enormous distance, the delivery of unwanted news.
Cancer, the doctor said softly and sadly to Mater; and for an extraordinary, protracted moment in which nobody drew breath, we did not possess the capacity to believe: that came later.
Mater, who will undergo surgery in a few days, is armoured now with information that previously was somebody else's concern.
She is sheltered by the knowledge that the kindness and humour and compassion of others will be the finest available medicine during the interlude.

6 comments:

tangobaby said...

darling Elementary, I don't know why this news just doesn't seem any easier to read now.

We will all be waiting anxiously to know that Mater is well and returned to complete health.

Much love to you and her.

Barb said...

I am so sorry to hear this news.

My thoughts, prayers and much positive energy is coming your way.

Love and best wishes. Barb xo

Pappy said...

A Message to Mater. In addition to whatever medication or treatment they decide to give you, try and make sure your diet includes fresh fruit and vegetables that have been ripened in the ground or on the tree. This will give your body a real boost at the cellular level to put its own wonderful immune system into full operation. I'm sure these are more readily available to you than they are here. Most of ours are green harvested and lack the necessary nutrients to do much good. Thanks for letting us know The. Keep us updated on your progress. Pappy

San said...

I'm sorry to learn of your Mater's diagnosis.

My own mother had surgery in May of 2007 for this. In November of 2007 she had a CT scan, which revealed she was cancer-free. She has other health challenges, but you are so right in your assessment that an illness represents a comma, not a period. And yes, love is the very best medicine.

I send you and your family my best wishes...

Pauline said...

Though I don't know either you or your Mater personally, I still felt a jolt at reading this. Keeping you both tucked in my prayersleeve.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

Tangobaby, I promise to let you know how everything goes, and your kind thoughts are much welcomed.

Barb, thanks for your concern- Mater now knows you are thinking of her.

Texican, Mater said to tell you she has been eating blueberries and oranges, and is now getting lots of vegetables, so not to worry. I'll of course keep you updated.

San, thank you so much for sharing that. It all helps, every bit.

Pauline- "tucked in my prayersleeve." That's beautiful, and I know Mater will appreciate it.

Please look around, explore my writing, leave a crumb:
I welcome comments and thoughts.